- 1 What is Metformin 850 mg used for? Generic Metformin prescribing information
- 2 When to take Metformin 850 mg? Metformin dosage
- 3 Is Metformin safe? Metformin warnings
- 4 Metformin and pregnancy. Metformin for PCOS
- 5 Metformin online price. 850 mg dosage for sale. Where to buy it without prescription?
- 6 Maximum dose of Metformin. Metformin 500 mg twice a day
- 7 The use of Metformin: for diabetes, old age and more.
- 8 Known mechanisms of action Metformin 850 mg.
- 9 Side effects of Metformin 850 mg.
- 10 Unique properties and new uses of Metformin 850 mg.
What is Metformin 850 mg used for? Generic Metformin prescribing information
Metformin is a hypoglycemic tableted product used for the treatment of diabetes mellitus type 2. The medication is prescribed during the second degree of diabetes mellitus but only when the diet therapy and physical activities do not provide the therapeutic effect.
Metformin is used in people with obesity when the body mass index exceeds 30. This group of people is more exposed to the development of the diabetes mellitus type 2, and patients are able to control the glucose level in the blood and reduce the percentage of the fat during the pharmaceutical therapy.
Metformin is used as a monotherapy or in combination with other oral hypoglycemic products or insulin. The scheme of the treatment is determined on the basis of the medical examination and a general clinical pattern.
The medication works only during the insulin-resistance, and therefore when the diabetes is related to the deficit of insulin, it is effective to take the pills only in combination with the insulin injections.
Metformin is also taken during other diagnosis caused by the excessive sugar level in the blood or a disorder of the lipid metabolism:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome;
- Ovulation defect;
- High level of cholesterol in the blood/atherosclerosis;
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH);
- Gestational diabetes.
There are results of the clinical studies that state the useful application of Metformin in the treatment of the diabetes in order to reduce a risk of the pancreatic gland cancer.
A risk of the pancreatic gland cancer turns out by 62% lower in patients taking Metformin in comparison with patients who did not take it. At the same time, in the participants of the study who have taken insulin and medications of sulfonylurea, a risk of the pancreatic gland cancer was by 2,5-5% higher in comparison with normal ranges. Metformin does not influence on a production of insulin and does not stimulate the functions of the pancreatic gland.
When to take Metformin 850 mg? Metformin dosage
Metformin may be taken not only during the acute state of diabetes mellitus type 2. The treatment should be started during the development of the first signs of such condition as prediabetes. This condition is characterized by the stable increase of the sugar level in the blood and the development of the first signs of the insulin-resistance. If the use of Metformin is started on this stage, a risk that a patient will prevent the diabetes development is more than 50%.
The diabetes has an acute form and develops slowly. The insulin-resistance develops slowly in the tissues, and the dysfunction of the pancreatic gland also grows gradually.
If you have started taking Metformin, it is necessary to follow strict rules:
- Take the pills 2 times per day, with the interval of at least 8 hours.
- A single dose should not exceed more than 1000 mg.
- The pills of Metformin should be taken with food, or after meals.
- The pills are taken with a full glass of water.
It is better to take a pill of Metformin 850 mg in the morning during breakfast, and the second pill is taken during dinner. The daily dose should be divided into 2 parts because the average period of half-life of Metformin is 9 hours. Taking the pills 2 times per day, it is possible to keep the optimal dose of the active ingredients in the blood, so that the glucose control will be 24 hours.
Is Metformin safe? Metformin warnings
The most optimal therapy of diabetes currently includes the use of Metformin having a very good pharmacological effect.
However, a broad clinical use of Metformin has restrictions as to the possible development of the lactic acidosis. The numerous data testify that a risk of the development of the lactic acidosis is not possible if the contraindications for the use are followed.
To melt all concerns about the safety of Metformin, Bristol-Myers Squibb company has launched a holding of the large clinical study – the Comparative Outcomes Study of Metformin Intervention versus Conventional Approach. It is a comparative study of the Metformin safety and other anti-diabetic products, and it lasts for a year. During this study it has been indicated that a risk of the development of the lactic acidosis during the use of Metformin, and during the observance of the precautions is not higher than during the use of other hypoglycemic oral products.
Another study of Metformin conducted within the large study of the UK Prospective Diabetes Study has also confirmed a high safety of the drug. Metformin has demonstrated a high efficiency as to the frequency of the developed complications due to the diabetes including the vascular pathologies without a negative influence on the vital functions of the body.
A safety and the efficiency of Metformin has been approved by the Diabetes Prevention Program during which it has been proved that the drug reduces a risk of the diabetes development by 20-31% in comparison with placebo, during the same index of the pharmacological safety.
As to the safety of Metformin in the point of view of hepatology, and the clinical studies show good results as well. Patients taking Metformin within 3 years and more have not been found pathological changes in the liver and a disorder of the functions of its cells.
Metformin and pregnancy. Metformin for PCOS
According to the American standards of the diabetic association, Metformin is a preferable medication for the treatment of the diabetes type 2 because it is the most effective and safe in comparison with medications of sulfonylurea and insulin injections.
Metformin has a special role in the treatment of the diabetes during pregnancy and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). If a woman is diagnosed PCOS, Metformin increases a chance of the recovery of the ovulation and pregnancy. It is proved that in 42% of cases the use of Metformin during PCOS gives a normal ovulation in a couple of months.
In spite of this data, there are precautions from doctors for the safe use of Metformin during pregnancy.
The conducted meta-analyses have proved that Metformin penetrates through the placental barrier but its toxicity for the fetus is low. The clinical studies have confirmed that the use of Metformin at early term of the pregnancy is not associated with a risk of the inborn defects. However, these studies have conducted as a part of the strict observance of the instruction for the use and doses.
It is unknown whether the overdose with Metformin influences on the fetus development, or a course of the pregnancy.
According to all conclusions, it is clear that if a woman has diabetes type 2 and takes Metformin, the pregnancy is not a reason to refuse from the treatment. A physician may change the dose or the scheme of the treatment, but a full termination of the use of Metformin may be associated with a risk for the glucose level increase in the plasma and even a development of the signs of the inborn diabetes in a baby.
Metformin online price. 850 mg dosage for sale. Where to buy it without prescription?
The treatment of diabetes suggests the everyday use of Metformin 850 mg. Metformin is for sale in any pharmacy and the offer completely covers the demand on the pharmaceutical market. The only problem consists in a thing that Metformin 850 is for sale by prescription only.
It gives certain problems for patients because it is necessary (at least once per month) see a doctor who will make a decision about the prescription of a new prescription for Metformin 850 mg. If you did not get a prescription, lost it, or it was expired, you will not be able to get the medication in the city pharmacies.
Metformin 850 without prescription may be received in online pharmacy only.
The internet shops supply Metformin without prescription to all people who need it. Most patients have a great experience in the use of the hypoglycemic products, and therefore they do not need to take a prescription. At the same time, patients who just start taking Metformin may get the pharmacist’s recommendations in the internet pharmacy, and when they have an opportunity, they will go to a doctor who will prescribe an individual scheme of the treatment.
Buying Metformin 850 mg without prescription is absolutely legal, and you do not have to worry. The internet pharmacies avoid the bureaucracy, and therefore buying medications online takes little time and is available to everybody.
Moreover, a cost of Metformin 850 is by 2-3 times lower in the online pharmacies than in the city pharmacies. It is explained by the fact that Metformin online is for sale without mediators, at the wholesale price of the manufacturer whilst the pharmacies set the high extra charges in order to cover the expenses on the upkeep of the pharmacy and the salary of the employees, and get more profit.
- The average cost of Metformin 850 mg is $0,7 per pill in the online pharmacy;
- The average cost of Metformin 850 mg is $1,83 in the city pharmacies.
Maximum dose of Metformin. Metformin 500 mg twice a day
- The maximally allowed daily dose of Metformin for adult patient with the diabetes type 2 is 2500 mg. It is a safe dose when the risk of the side effects and lactic acidosis is not increased.
- The maximally allowed single dose of Metformin is 1000 mg.
Patients over 60 should reduce the maximal dose by 20% because they have low metabolism. And there is a risk of the accumulation of Metformin in the blood plasma, and it may increase a risk of the lactic acidosis development.
The use of Metformin: for diabetes, old age and more.
Metformin was discovered back in 1922, and began to be widely used only in the late 90s. Endocrinologists prescribe it for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Prescriptions are also known for overweight, obesity, polycystic ovary disease and infertility.
The World Health Organization has recognized metformin as one of the most effective medicines.
And although its popularity is high, the effect of metformin has not yet been fully understood: even today, studies are being carried out that reveal new facets of its “talent”. This is what I wanted to pay a little attention to in this article.
Known mechanisms of action Metformin 850 mg.
1. Decreased release of glycogen from the liver.
2. Metformin enhances muscle glucose uptake.
3. Metformin reduces the absorption of glucose from the intestine.
4. Metformin has a beneficial effect on blood lipids.
5. The drug increases the sensitivity of peripheral receptors to insulin.
6. Metformin inhibits the synthesis of glucose from proteins and fats.
The most important action of Metformin 850 mg is to suppress the production of glucose by the liver.
Metformin activates the release of the liver enzyme, which is responsible for the processes of glucose and fat metabolism. This activation leads to a suppressive action on glucose production in the liver. That is, excess glucose due to metformin is not formed.
In addition, metformin increases sensitivity to its own insulin and increases peripheral glucose uptake (with the help of insulin glucose is delivered to all cells of the body and becomes a source of energy), increases fatty acid oxidation, and reduces glucose absorption in the gastrointestinal tract.
Delaying the absorption of glucose in the gastrointestinal tract by metformin helps maintain lower blood glucose levels after a meal, as well as increase the sensitivity of target cells to their own insulin. This property of metformin allows it to be used in prediabetes – for the prevention of diabetes with a tendency to such.
After oral administration, Metformin 850 mg is absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, its active effect begins after 2.5 hours. Metformin is excreted by the kidneys after 9-12 hours. It should be noted that metformin is able to accumulate in the liver, kidneys and muscles.
The use of metformin begins with taking 500-850 mg 2-3 times a day during or after meals. Perhaps a further gradual increase in the dose, depending on the results of analyzes of the concentration of glucose in the blood.
The maintenance dose of metformin is usually 1500–2000 mg / day.
To reduce side effects from the gastrointestinal tract, the daily dose is divided into 2-3 doses. The maximum daily dose is 3000 mg / day, divided into 3 doses.
The original metformin drug is French Glucophage. Generics of Glucophage: Metformin by Ozone (Russia), Siofor and others.
To reduce the side effects of metformin (gastrointestinal disorders) and improve the quality of life of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, a long-acting metformin called “Glucophage Long” was developed and released in France with a delayed absorption of active metformin. “Glucophage Long” can be taken once a day, which, of course, is much more convenient for patients.
The absorption of prolonged-release metformin is in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
Side effects of Metformin 850 mg.
1. With long-term use of metformin, there may be a decrease in the absorption of vitamin B12. If megablastic anemia is detected, additional intramuscular administration of vitamin B12 is required.
2. Quite often there are problems with the gastrointestinal tract (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (diarrhea), bloating, abdominal pain, change in taste, loss of appetite). In this case, metformin should be taken with meals to reduce gastrointestinal irritation.
3. With long-term use, as well as when taking metformin with large doses of alcohol, lactic acidosis may occur – a high level of lactic acid in the blood, which can threaten the patient’s life. It occurs more often with an overdose of metformin and in patients with renal failure.
4. Very rarely skin reactions occur – erythema, rash, itchy dermatoses.
5. Very rarely there are liver dysfunctions, hepatitis, which disappear when the drug is discontinued.
Metformin 850 mg is used only as directed by a physician and is intended to be purchased with a prescription only.
Unique properties and new uses of Metformin 850 mg.
Metformin 850 mg is being researched in many countries: the Internet is filled with reports of its newly discovered unique properties. So what uses of metformin and warnings are relevant today?
1. Metformin prevents and controls type 2 diabetes.
2. Metformin does not lower blood sugar immediately after the first dose. Its action begins in 2.5 hours. The decrease in blood glucose occurs in a few days – from 7 to 14 days.
3. The drug does not cause hypoglycemia in therapeutic doses, in case of overdose it is extremely rare.
4. Metformin 850 mg can be combined with insulin, maninil and other drugs.
5. Dr. R. Bernstein (USA) claims that metformin reduces the risk of cancer, and also suppresses hunger hormone, thereby helping to stabilize weight.
6. According to research by Craig Kerry, metformin can be successfully used in the complex treatment of oncology and cardiovascular diseases.
7. Metformin 850 mg promotes the growth of new neurons in the brain and spinal cord.
8. In Alzheimer’s disease, the number of nerve cells in the hippocampus, the part of the brain in which new memories are formed, is significantly reduced. Experience shows that taking 1000 mg of metformin per day for people weighing 60 kg significantly improves the ability to create new memories.
9. There is also the opposite opinion that metformin increases the risk of dementia. Taiwanese researchers led by Dr. Yichun Kuan conducted a study of 9,300 patients with type 2 diabetes, analyzing the effects of metformin on a control group of patients. Their conclusion: the longer the patient took metformin and the higher the dose, the higher the likelihood of developing dementia. Many experts question this opinion.
10. Metformin suppresses systemic inflammation – one of the causes of aging, protects the heart and blood vessels from aging.
11. The drug improves cholesterol levels by lowering the level of low-density bad cholesterol.
12. Metformin reduces elevated liver enzymes and may treat non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in diabetic patients.
13. The drug reduces the risk of death from a bunch of diabetic complications by about 30%.
14. Metformin has no absolute contraindications for diseases of the kidneys, liver, chronic heart failure. If any, the doctor adjusts the dose and the patient continues to use metformin. However, the decision of the doctor in severe pathologies of the heart, liver and kidneys of the patient may not be in favor of taking this drug.
15. Metformin is able to reduce the level of vitamin B12, therefore, when using it, it is necessary to monitor blood counts.
16. The drug is used in the absence of ovulation in infertile patients.
17. Metformin stabilizes weight during antipsychotic-induced weight gain.
18. Do not combine the drug with alcohol in order to avoid complications in the form of lactic acidosis (a deadly complication).
19. Metformin is a candidate for medicine for old age.
20. Metformin 850 mg is being studied as a potential drug for the possible treatment of rheumatoid arthritis in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
From this list stand out new uses of metformin (other than type 2 diabetes) that have been researched by scientists. For the sake of fairness, it must be said that many of these new indications for use have refuted the work of other researchers. So, experts are still arguing whether metformin reduces body weight or not. Some works indicate the successful stimulation of ovulation with metformin, while others talk about minor effects of the drug on the reproductive system.
Therefore, this drug should not be perceived as a remedy suitable for absolutely everyone for healing and anti-aging, even though the media advertise metformin as an old drug, ready to become a new “elixir of youth”. Metformin has its own list of indications, which in our country (as well as throughout the world) mainly consists in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.